The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Slave Driver

I've been told numerous times that I am way too hard on kids, especially my own.  I don't necessarily find this to be the case.  I want, and think, children should know what is expected of them and if that makes me tough, then so be it.  I like to think of it as building a strong foundation.

Everyday Phoenix and I do Learning Lessons.  Yes, I am well aware he isn't even 9 months old yet.  However, I don't think its ever too early to start laying the groundwork to the afore mentioned foundation.  Our Learning Lessons include a variety of activities all geared around learning.  We focus on a concept for about 2 weeks before moving on to something new.

We have computer time.  This normally involves the Phonics Song and a Very Merry Shahid Christmas.  He loves being on the computer and this is a great way to start introducing him to the concept.

We do math.  Really we just work on our numbers.  We are currently focused on How Old is Phoenix.  ONE (holding up 1 finger).  We will probably continue this until he masters it or his first birthday.  Whichever comes first.

We combine story time and foreign language into one.  Phoenix isn't too fond of sitting still to listen to me read to him.  He only does that for story time at the library and whole foods.  However, we have time in his room everyday where he plays on the floor while I read to him.  The books are always stories in Spanish. We are currently reading Barney's Dulces Suenos.

We also do language.  This again incorporates the Phonics Song, but where I am singing it to him and he focuses on my mouth, trying to figure out the sounds for himself.

Etiquette course is also incorporated.  We always wipe our mouth like a gentleman.  Manners, such as excuse me, thank you, yes sir/maam, etc. are also focused upon.

We have music time where we bang the tublah with a spoon and create lots of different noises.

And don't worry-we also have recess where he can do anything he wants (within the foundation of course).

P.E. is also very important in our Learning Lessons.  Phoenix comes from a dada and mama who were both college athletes, so we have big expectations for him!  We are working on catching a ball being thrown to him.  We are also working on standing alone.  On the count of 3, I let go.

Every afternoon, around 4:30 or so, we go sit on the front porch or in the front yard.  There is always some sort of practice, either soccer or lacrosse, going on.  This is when we work on our colors.  We name the color of each car that passes by.

We haven't started history yet and I'm sure we've left some other very important subjects out as well.  He is only 9 months old, afterall!!!!  I really think he enjoys his Learning Lessons and they are definitely building a sense of routine and structure for him.  I would love to homeschool him when the time comes, but I know that is out of the question.  So, in the meantime, I'll enjoy our Learning Lessons time that we have together.

He recently informed me (see picture below) that he was ready to incorporate art into our curriculum.  Looks like we will be painting, coloring,  and drawing a lot sooner than I thought!

What a studious little fellow we have on our hands!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment