The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sleep Tight My Sweet Child

Saturday night was our first "official" babysitting experience.  I had months to prepare for the day, but that didn't seem to help calm my nerves much.  I rarely leave Phoenix.  Not even with his Dad.  However, this was an occasion I didn't want to miss.  Two of my sweet nieces were going to be flower girls in a cousin's wedding.  I worked it out so that Jason would be home with Phoenix while I went to the church part (I wanted to see LuLu and Suki walk down the aisle) and then I would come home and pick Jason up and have the sitter meet us here around that time.  This allowed me a little peace of mind about not having to leave him quite as long (if you know anything about us, you know our wedding ceremonies are forever-literally like an hour and a half-long) and it gave Jason a little time to rest and spend some time with Phoenix.

I totally trust Marlene, the babysitter.  She is a cousin and has been begging for months to babysit.  She is wonderful.  Comes from a great family, in college, drives, and I love her.  She was not a concern for me at all.

And to be honest, I wasn't so much concerned with how Phoenix was going to do when we left.  He is such a social kid, I figured once we were out the door, he'd be just fine.  I was totally worried about bed time though.  I can honestly say, in his 15 1/2 months of life no one other than me or his Dad has ever put him to bed.  So I just wasn't sure how he was going to react to it.  The fact that we don't really have a "set bed time routine" or that he really doesn't fight bedtime tried to ease my worries a little.  However, I'm not so sure it worked.

Well, it happened.  There was a knock at the door.  I guess we were really going to do this.  I had spoken to Phoenix about it in the days leading up to it, but I still wasn't sure he fully understood what was happening.  We tried to make the good-bye as short and simple as possible, even though that about killed both Jason and myself.  The door closed and all 3 of us just about had tears running down our face.  Phoenix did for sure.

I at least waited until we had turned off our street until I texted Marlene and asked if he was still crying. This is what I got.


Nope.  All is well.  He is happy and we are playing.  My heart quickly settled.  I was finally able to turn my focus into enjoying the night out with Jason.  It was our first night out since before Phoenix was born.  We both knew it was LOOOONG over due, however; we both just wanted to be at home playing with our baby.

We got to the reception and as people asked how Phoenix was or who had him, etc., I couldn't help but tear up.  A drink was definitely in order.  I needed to calm something inside of me and Fast.  People seemed surprised that it was the first "official" time we'd left him.  I couldn't understand that.  He's just a baby.  Once he is older, I will leave him.  But right now, he needs his mama and his daddy.  

Anyways, about 7:30 or so, I texted Marlene again to see how things were going and to see if he was asleep yet.  We purposely let her put him to bed since she is also watching him the night of Raise the Roof and there is NO way I'll be able to leave that event to come home to him.  To my surprise, she texted back that he was asleep and only cried for about 5 minutes.  I swear, I have the BEST kid ever!!!!  Not to mention the best dog ever :)


Apparently, Dixie didn't miss us all that much either.  Marlene is good, good I tell ya :)  So, needless to say, we survived our first night out.  We came home to a great report.  Even better-she still wants to babysit the night of Raise the Roof!!!  Woo-hoo!!! I would consider this a very successful evening all the way around!!!  Phoenix wasn't even mad at us the next morning :)

The one and only regret I have from the evening is not getting a picture of Jason and myself all dressed up.  It doesn't happen often and I wish I had taken a picture to remember our first night out.  Oh well.  I have a feeling with or without a picture-I won't ever forget the first night we left Phoenix.


No comments:

Post a Comment