The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Checking off the List

Here in the Lang household, we have been checking things off the list left and right.  Unfortunately, its not the list I really want to complete.

Let's see....all of this has occurred in the last 2 weeks.  It all started with a runny nose.  No big deal-just an endless stream of green gooey nastiness coming from the nose.  The poor kid couldn't stop sneezing and his nose just drizzled snot ALL the time.  No need for the doctor though.

Then, on Saturday, a cough decided it wanted to partake in all the fun.  A cough that wanted to rid all the "junk" inside, but my poor baby just couldn't figure out how to get it out.  Sunday it got worse.  Worse to the point he was either gasping for a breathe or gagging himself from coughing soo hard.  It was violent.  This time, memories of his breathing issues started flooding my mind, so I called the doctor first thing Monday morning.

Took him in to see the doctor Monday afternoon.  She said the nose and cough would just have to run its course.  There was absolutely nothing more I could do to help him.  The visit wasn't all a waste.  While we were there, she discovered an aweful looking left ear.  She said there was no doubt in her mind if we weren't there today, we'd be there within 2 for sure.  It was already that bad.  Instead of amoxicillion-due to the hives from the last ear infection-we got our script for omnicef and were on our way.  Yes, this is 2 ear infections in 2 months.

We got home and he started his medicine.  The cough continued to get worse.  Tuesday evening-day 2-on the medicine, he developed a rash all around his mouth.  We narrowed it down to 1 of 3 things.  The medicine-since its a cousin to amoxicillion.  Second, we thought maybe Jason rubbed something on him, even though he had washed his hands and changed his shirt before touching him.  We also thought it could have been an allergy to eggplant.  He had it for dinner and it was the first time I'd given it to him.  Again, I called the doctor.  They didn't return, my call, that evening, but thankfully neither did the rash.

The doctor finally returned my call Thursday morning.  She thinks the rash was a viral infection. It was kind of a blessing that she was just now returning the call because I kept Phoenix on the medicine and she said she would have told me to quit giving it to him.

The rash didn't return but my poor kid was pitiful.  He couldn't catch a break.  Thursday, I couldn't help but notice how he would start screaming bloody murder whenever I would change his diaper.  He did everything in his power to escape from me and I tried my best to just hurry and get it over.  Not once did it cross my mind that there might be a reason for his actions.  That night, once Jason got home, I made him hold Phoenix down while I changed him.  Low and behold-there was a reason for his prior behavior.  The poor kid had red splotches all on his little butt.  Not diaper rash.

I was talking to a friend this morning and she said it was probably a yeast infection caused from the medicine.  She told me to call the doctor and get him Nystatin.  So, that's just what I did.  The nurse was pretty sure that was the problem as well.  I swear, my poor baby just can't catch a break.

Needless to say, with all this going on in our household, we haven't ventured too far.  We did go to the library (probably a big mistake on my part) and church.  Unfortunately, we were not able to make the kids Mercedes run this morning and we will not likely be leaving the house tomorrow either.  The weather is just too cold and I can't take the chance of him getting any worse.  Good luck to all the runners.  We are soo proud of each and everyone of you.  Suki is blessed beyond belief.

I pray my baby starts feeling better soon.  I hate seeing him soo uncomfortable.  He hasn't been napping very well, but thankfully, sleeping at night hasn't been interrupted.  He is constantly fussy and just wants to be held ALL the time, all while still fussing.  He does love bath time though, so I've definitely looked forward to that every night.

So, we can say we've checked off the weather-caused snotty nose and cough.  Our second ear infection (first in the left ear), a viral infections, as well as a yeast infection.  I hate this list.





No comments:

Post a Comment