The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

As much as I Love it, I can't help but Hate it Even More...and Alittle More

Phoenix took his usual afternoon nap yesterday.  He didn't nap well in the morning so I was expecting a great afternoon one.  He slept for about an hour, maybe.  Oh well.  He obviously had no desire to nap.  No big deal.  Well, I went to get him out of the bed and noticed he was burning up.  I mean I could feel the heat through his clothes (and yes, he was clothed).  I thought maybe he was just hot from sleeping.  Waited a few minutes and he was still HOT.  Took his temp.  It was 102.5.  Waited a few minutes and it was up to 103.5.  A few more minutes later it was 103.8.  Gave him motrin and called the doctor and got him in that afternoon.

He usually runs a slight (101-102) fever when he has a right ear infection.  Never run one before with a left one.  However, it has NEVER been this high.  His nose had also started running.  Not as bad as with his usual ear infections though.  He also wasn't eating like himself.  He wanted to nurse 24/7 and that was it.  Usual sign of an ear infection.  For the most part he had still been napping well and was still sleeping great at night.  He also had a little case of diarrhea the last few days.  Chalked that up to nothing.

Anyways, we went to the doctor.  Left ear is full of puss and right ear is red, no puss yet.  It blows my mind how his ears get soo bad and we have no "real" signs of pain out of him.  He still plays, smiles, laughs and is happy.  The kid amazes me.

We got our script from the pharmacy and headed home for what I anticipated to be a LONG night.  Nope.  He was perfect.  He didn't eat, just nursed and slept the entire night.  What a trooper.

This morning I got him up and again he was burning up.  This time he was crying and wouldn't stop.  Took his temp and it was back up in the 103's.  Quickly gave him motrin, his presciption, and numbing drops for his ears.  He was still very fussy.  All he wanted was his mama.  He wouldn't even go to DaDa. I hate to admit it, but I loved it.  Is that bad?  I savored every second he wanted me to hold him.  This is a RARE occurrence in our home.  He was  refusing DaDa-the kid must REALLY be hurting.  We finally decided to go for a walk.  That calmed him down.  He continued to run a fever all day, even with the motrin/tylenol swap-off.  He didn't eat much of anything other than the boobster and snacks.  No real food though.  He took 2 good naps today as well.  He is now down for the night.  He had his last dose of motrin at 4:20.  We might wake him and give him tylenol at 8:30 just to help the fever.  Still debating that one though.  He was still in the 101's when we took it right before bed (around 6:30).  I don't want it to get too high during the night, but I hate to wake him.  What to do?

Jason took a bath with him tonight.  He loved it!  What special memories.

I loved him loving on me.  It NEVER happens, especially if Jason is anywhere around.  However, I hated that my buttah was hurting soo bad.  It literally broke my heart when he would be crying and looking into my eyes as if saying, "make it stop mama."  Thankfully, the crying only lasted a bit and he was back to his normal, happy, playful, DaDa loving self!  So yes, I LOVED my special time with Phoenix but I would have gladly given it up to have him feeling better.


Also-we have an ENT consultation appointment on Tuesday for tubes.  Hopefully we can now get rid of these ear infections once and for all.

Two Posts Combined into One:

Over the past few days Phoenix has still been running a fairly high temp., not eating or drinking much at all, still having diarrhea and having very few wet diapers.  As the days progressed his energy levels decreased.  By evening, he was pathetic.

Jason and I decided to go ahead and call the nurse this morning.  Saturday.  She wanted him to be seen so we had an 11:00 appointment.  His left ear is still filled with puss-not any better, and now his right ear is filled with puss as well.  The doctor said this explains all the symptoms (the high fever, not eating/drinking, diarrhea, etc.)  We got a shot and were told to come back Monday (yes, Memorial Day) for another round of the shot and to have them rechecked.  She was gracious enough to let us skip a day (since he is already on another antibiotic) between the shots.  Otherwise, we would have had to go to the hospital to get it (since its Sunday).  I'm very thankful for that.

We are to continue the antibiotic, just altering the dosage.  She also said to stop the tylenol and do motrin every 6 hours.  Hopefully the shot will give him relief until Monday.  That is what we are all hoping for at this point.

To put it how the doctor explained it.  At this point we are just trying to cover the problem with band-aids at this point.  We are simply trying to buy us some time until we can get tubes put in.  She feels this is our only option and needs to be done rather quickly.  She also seems to think this will put an end to all this pain for Phoenix.  Boy do I pray she is right.





No comments:

Post a Comment