The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Guess All Good Things Must Come to an End

As I'm sure I've either blogged about or Facebooked, we have had our fair share of "illnesses" lately.

Well, almost 2 weeks later and Phoenix is still not "right."  He hasn't eaten a full meal, he is constantly tired (napping 4hrs and sleeping longer at night), constantly violently coughing, drippage from his nose like a leaky faucet, and Lord help us with the sneezes-snot hangs all the way to the ground.  Lets not forget the off and on fever for the past 2 weeks as well.

About a week or so ago, I asked Phoenix if he had a wah-wah.  He repeated wah-wah and pointed straight to his right ear.  For the next week, he would randomly say, "wah-wah" while pointing to his ear.  ALWAYS his right ear, even if using his left hand.  His ear had started draining the day after we made the after-hours trip.  However, we started the drops immediately (which in the past, since tubes, has always done the trick).  After five days of drops, the leaking had stopped.  However, there was now very large clumps that were forming in his ear instead of draining out.  We cleaned and watched that ear very carefully.

After going back and forth on whether the doctor would be able to do anything for him, I decided I've got to take him in.  At least for myself.  What if the pneumonia had formed like the after-hours doctor thought? What if his ear really was bothering him? What if that cough gets to the point he can't breathe?  I called and made him appointment yesterday.  Took him in at 2:00.

I had a doctor's appointment myself at 10:30, so Jason was home with him.  He didn't eat.  Took a great nap though.  I ended up having to wake him for the doctor.  Before Jason headed back to work, we made a very thorough list of his symptoms and our concerns.  We get there and I explain to her whats been going on with him.  She listens to his chest.  He is definitely wheezing.  We already have an inhaler for him, so no big deal.  We use it when we feel necessary.  She then took a look in his ears.

His left one first.  It was very, very red and irritated.  She couldn't even see the tube.  I told her the after-hours doctor saw it just a week or so ago and said it looked great.  She said it could've turned sideways or something.  GREAT.  Then she checked out the right ear.  She said it was draining.  Really???? Thanks, I didn't seem to notice.  Okay-I reexplained the drops to her.  She told me after 72 hours, if they haven't help they switch to an oral antibiotic.  Its been more than 72 hours, so we made the switch.  I was VERY hesitant because he has had some serious reactions to the orals for his ears in the past.  From hives, to yeast infections (that led to 2 trips to the dermatologist), to upset stomachs, to not helping heal his ears at all.  We tried a new one-one we've never tried before.  That'll  teach me to ever doubt my son again :)

Hopefully the over the next 10 days of being on this medicine, we will see improvements in Phoenix.  The poor kid is definitely a trooper but I just hate that he is constantly fighting something.  It always seems to fall back to the ears too.  We had a nice long stretch of healthiness after the tubes, but I guess all good things must come to an end.

I'll leave you with a few pictures of my handsome little dude from Palm Sunday.  He looked stunning if I do say so myself.  Such a gentleman!










No comments:

Post a Comment