The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Our First Visit

We've had a rough couple of weeks in this house.  Phoenix wasn't feeling well for a while, then he was being treated for pink eye in both eyes, then I got a migraine (that doesn't seem to want to leave).  Oh, and I got sick somewhere in there as well.  I prayed continuously for a break.  Just a break, then it can resume (if necessary) but I need a break-especially with my head.  I struggle to get anything done.

Well, yesterday Phoenix woke up with a VERY runny nose.  A slight cough-which I thought was due to the constant running of his snot.  But overall, was feeling like himself.  He didn't eat much for breakfast, but I wasn't concerned.  We went to run a few errands, story time and then to my niece's school for her Stations of the Cross presentation.  He fell asleep on the way from story time to POP.  I was thankful, thinking this might make him behave a little better during the program.  He played with his cousins and was happy the entire time.  Afterwards, we ran 1 more errand on our way home.  I tried feeding him lunch in the car, but he refused to eat.  Again, I wasn't worried.

We got home and I realized he felt a bit warm.  I took his temperature (it was 102 something) and gave him some motrin before I took him up for a nap.  I wasn't bothered by the fever.  He played for a bit then started crying.  I went up there and he had a serious dirty.  I changed him.  He didn't want to rock with me.  He went to the door and said downstairs.  I explained to him it was nap time.  Poor kid closed the door, lay right down on the floor by it and fell fast asleep.  Not normal for him.  He has never done anything like that before.  I gently placed him in his bed.

He didn't nap long.  I got him up and all he wanted to do was lay on me.  He was fussy, wouldn't eat or drink and just pathetic.  I checked his temp again and it was 100 something.  At least the motrin was working.  About an hour or two later, I checked it again (he was getting worse).  This time it was over 103.  I still wasn't concerned.  I stripped him down and put him in a luke warm bath.  He finally seemed happy.  This was around 6:00.  I got him out of the tub and rechecked his temperature.  It was almost 105.  Lord help me. This was the first time I really got scared for my son.  I immediately called the on call nurse and Jason.

Jason came home with pedialyte, gatorade, and snacks in hopes to get something-anything-in him.  He refused it all.  The on call nurse finally called back (after my second call in) and said if we can't get the fever down or if it goes up AT ALL, we were to head immediately to the ER.  She said to go ahead and give more motrin and stick him in the tub again.

We did.  This time it was awful.  He screamed and cried.  Coughing continuously and very violently.  My tears started flowing as I tried convincing Jason to just get him out.  He refused.  Phoenix eventually cried and cough soo much he started vomiting.  We just prayed it wasn't the motrin.

After getting him out, we waited a bit before rechecking.  He actually fell asleep wrapped in the towel in my arms.  We just wanted him to rest.  He was beyond pathetic at this point.  We finally rechecked him and his temp was down to almost 104.  At least the motrin was working and we wouldn't have to go to the ER.

The nurse finally called back to check.  She was able to get us a late night appointment with After Hours.  We arrived at 8:50 last night.  On the way, Phoenix actually ate a cracker.  Still not drinking or having wet diapers, but at least we got him to eat a cracker.  He actually was more lively at the Dr. than he had been since 2:00 that afternoon.  I was thanking God big time.  For the first time in a few hours, I finally thought my baby was going to be okay.

Doctor thought he had early stages of pneumonia.  Sending my child back for x-rays was not easy for me.  I just wanted to be there to hold him.  At least his DaDa was there for him.  Which, he was finally letting hold him.  I knew he was really sick when he was even refusing his Daddy.  This was one of those times where being pregnant flat out stunk.  Jason said it was rough, so part of me was glad I was waiting where I couldn't hear the screams (which Jason was surprised I couldn't-yes, that loud).  My poor baby.

X rays came back clear.  We left with nothing more than its probably a virus.  Really???? Its 10:15 at this point.  We ran by McDonalds to get food-I hadn't eaten since like 11 since he wouldn't let me put him down and my head was killing me.  Damn you migraine.  We also had false hope that Phoenix might actually eat some fries.  Fail.  We did get him to drink a little sprite though.

He slept well for the most part last night.  His overnight diaper was wet, but not like usual.  And to be honest, I felt it before removing it and would've sworn it was still dry.  He hasn't eaten much of anything today.  I even went to Magic Muffin and got him muffins, a doughnut, a cinnamon roll and a cookie.  Nothing.  He has barely had anything to drink either.   He has been napping for almost 3 hours now.  Still no wet diaper.  Just praying once he wakes, we'll have one.

He hasn't eaten.  He's still not drinking.  He has had a slight fever all day.  We've been keeping motrin in him all day.  If we don't get a wet one soon, we might have some problems.  Its already past time to where he should've had one but I don't think he's dehydrated.  I have faith we'll have a wet diaper when he wakes up.

So, I guess at 20 1/2 months (3.15.13) we were due for our first visit to After Hours.  They were great but I'd prefer to not visit again.  Especially when we had such fun plans for the weekend.  Makes my heart sad that he can't enjoy this wonderful weather but I'm very blessed that he's improving.

Phoenix snapping photos while waiting on the dr.
Finally "cheesing" for Dada!


No comments:

Post a Comment