The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Life's Little Reminders

Yesterday, we went over to Phoenix's Godfather's house for a last-day-of-school-year party with all of our friends.  I love that all of our kids are as close as my girlfriends and I.  I was super excited because Phoenix LOVES playing with all of his friends and he loves his "Aunts" just as much!  I was looking forward to him having a Blast while I finally got some good "catch-up" time with my girls.  We even convinced Dada to come over after work!

We get there and everyone was playing, laughing, eating.What fun!  They have 2 cats-Lola (LuLu) and Jack (????) and a dog named Sammie (Sam).  I don't think we've been over to their house since the Big Halloween Party back in October.  Phoenix immediately went over and started playing with Lola.  "Hi cat, hi cat" he kept repeating as he pet her.  It was way too cute!  Sam, who was outside when we arrived, made his way into the house.  Phoenix immediately runs over to him, "Hi Dixie, hi Dixie."  The tears immediately came.  My heart broke into pieces hearing my son remember Dixie.  Sammie looks a lot like Dixie, just a whole lot more active and a bunch of pounds lighter, so I totally got it.  I'd get the tears dried up and Phoenix would start playing with "Dixie" all over again.  It was a nasty, nasty cycle that just kept throwing daggers straight to my heart.  

We kept telling Phoenix the dog's name is Sam, but it didn't seem to matter in his eyes.  All he saw was Dixie.  My poor buddy :(.  We somehow managed to keep Jason, Phoenix and Sam away from each other in fears of what it might do to Jason's heart.  The few times Phoenix would call him Dixie after Jason arrived, Sam was usually sleeping, so Phoenix would say, "Shh-finger over mouth-, Dixie sleeping."  Fortunately the kid knows how to whisper because I'm sure Jason would've picked up on it at that point.  

We ended up staying WAAAAY past Phoenix's bedtime (like 10:15) but it was totally worth it.  Phoenix, myself, and Jason all had a blast and are totally looking forward to more get togethers now that summers here. 

 My heart hurt for the loss of our dog, but grew even greater with love for my son and his sweet innocence.  

Even Phoenix will let you know.  Dixie may be gone from our daily lives, but she is never gone from our hearts.  




Last Family Photo 1.4.13



No comments:

Post a Comment