The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Doctor, Doctor!

Luna has been sick the last few days.  She has the awful cough, the runny nose and constantly sneezing mess.  Saturday she started running a fever, her first.  She also managed to throw up several times.  Dirty diapers are happening almost every 30 minutes.  I'm talking full blow outs where a change of clothes is necessary.  Its nasty.  Phoenix had it the week before, also running a fever, so I just assumed he passed it on.  He's ALWAYS soo great about sharing his stuff with his Sissy :).

Needless to say, this has left us with many sleepless nights.  Saturday night being the worse.  She was inconsolable and I was desperate.  Finally, around 4:30 in the morning I threw her in the car and went for a drive.  We went to the gas station where I got an ICEE.  Unfortunately, Starbucks doesn't open until 6:30 on Sunday or I would've headed straight there.  I needed something to keep my butt awake.  She finally fell asleep driving around but as soon as we got home, she was up screaming again.   It was hopeless.

Sunday she was better.  We went to Church Saturday night (before all the throwing up and fever started), so we were able to stay in on Sunday morning.  We went over to my parent's house for Super Bowl.  I definitely needed the break.  We had fun and both kids seemed to be doing a little better.

Sunday night Phoenix woke up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder.  I mean, screaming like he did when he burned his hand.  It was awful.  I knew something was really wrong.  He kept saying the inside of his ear hurt.  Luna didn't have a great night either.  Needless to say, I called the doctor at 8:30, exactly when they opened, and scheduled an appointment for BOTH of them.

The appointment was for 11:30.  Thankfully, Jason was able to go with me.  I needed help.  After examining both kids, it was apparent the Ears were the issue.  Both of them have pretty bad right ear infections.  This is Phoenix's (weight 31lbs) 3rd since tubes (ironically enough all in the same ear in which the tube hasn't fallen out of) and Luna's (weight 16.6lbs) 1st.  My poor babies :(.

We opted for the rocephin shot for Phoenix.  In the past, it has been the only thing that has helped him and seeing that he is allergic to just about every medicine in the books, we thought it was the best route.  It was rough.  He screamed and cried.  Its not an easy shot.  Not easy whatsoever.  The needle is as long as my pinky-no exaggeration.  We also got another prescription of ciprodex for him as well.  He slept better last night then he has in a while.  Even sleeping in until 6:30!!!

Luna hasn't been on med's other than her reflux, so we chose to try amoxicillion with her.  Hoping she doesn't have a reaction to it like her brother.  We gave her a dose yesterday afternoon.  She kept it down for about 3 hours.  Then puked up every bit of it and then some.  I tried putting it with some milk in a bottle last night, but she wanted nothing to do with it.  We are still trying to figure out how to get the medicine in her.  We also got numbing drops for her.  Apparently, they are helping.  She went to bed at 8:00, slept until 5:30, ate and is still sleeping.  Poor girl hasn't slept in days, so I wouldn't be surprised if thats all she does today.

As a Mom, its always soo tough deciding when its time to take them to the doctor.  I try to wait a fever out 3 days before calling and runny noses, cough, etc. I wait out as long as possible too.  I mean, really, what can they do for them????  Sometimes this bites me in the butt though.  Like this time, when something more was wrong.  I hate that Luna was in pain for who knows how long before I took her in, but I just never know when the time is right.

Phoenix is doing great this morning.  He said his leg doesn't hurt anymore and his ear is all better.  Luna must be doing well too since she's still sleeping.  Maybe we are finally over the hump and can start leaving the house again soon.  I feel like we haven't been out in over a month between sicknesses, concussion, and weather.  WE NEED OUT!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment