The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Who Says its sNOw Fun....

Being snowed in for days????  Okay, I'm sure many people in Alabama after what happened last week.   We were fortunate enough to be home, all of us except Jason, that is.  Jenn-Jenn came by for a surprise visit that morning.  Which, looking back was a blessing because we likely would've ventured out for a car ride (since thats about all the getting out we do these days).

Jason called from Pelham to tell me it was snowing.  The three of us ran to the window and sure enough, snow was falling.  It was beautiful.  Its was the kind of snow I love.  Falling from the sky and then disappearing.  Or so we thought.

We quickly noticed that EVERY car that tried going up my street was rolling back down, just as fast.  I got P dressed and let him go outside for a minute since Sissy was napping and well, it doesn't snow here that often.  So yes, even though he was sick, he got to play.  Some rules just have to be broken.

I stayed in touch with Jason as the snow began falling harder.  Schools were closing so he decided to help get children home.  He spent hours driving parents to kids and driving kids home from the elementary school.  Unfortunately for Jenn-Jenn, she wasn't going anywhere.  I've never been more glad to have a home phone than I was that day.  Cell phones were impossible to get thru on.

After making sure all of our friends kids were safely home, he came by to get her so she could get home to watch the 12 kids that were now stranded at her house.  He then proceeded to drive around helping anyone and everyone who needed it.  Him, Danny and James.

P and I ventured out a time or two more, once with Sissy too.  She couldn't not play in her first snow fall.  That would just be wrong.

Jason didn't get back home until way after dark, and bedtime.  I was sad he didn't come home to play with P, but knew he was doing the right thing.  It was just soo hard trying to explain to a 2 year old that his daddy was needed elsewhere when all he kept saying was he wanted to play in the snow with Dada.  My heart hurt for my son.  Call it selfish.  Call it what you want.  But it did.  And I let Jason know it (of course, I let him do his helping first).  All P needed was 30 minutes of play in the snow time with his Dada.  Apparently that was too much to ask for.  Again, call it selfish but its truly how I felt.  I know he was doing what he had to do.  I am proud of him for risking his safety to help others.  I wouldn't have had it any other way, especially before we had kids.  But his kid wanted to experience this with his Dada.  30 minutes was all I was asking.  Well, P was asking.  In hindsight, part of me feels bad for being mad.  However, part of me doesn't.  Soo many mixed emotions.

It all worked out though because first thing the next morning we were out playing in the snow.  Dada and all!  We had a fun day in and out of playing.  Phoenix made snow angel after snow angel.  He had snow ball fights with his Dada, built a snowman, sledded and even played a little soccer in the snow.

Such wonderful memories were made.

Some photos from Jason's day of rescuing:





My heart truly hurt for ALL the people on the roadways.  Those that couldn't get to their kids at school.  Those that were stranded with not enough clothing.  Those that were pregnant.  I can't imagine what I would've done if we (the kids and I) were out there in it.  Even worse, what if I had a kid at school that I couldn't get to???? The strength of people amazes me, cause Lord knows, I would've gone crazy had our scenario been different.  Looking at these pictures proves just how strong people really are.  

Photos from our adventures:





























No comments:

Post a Comment