The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Double FAIL

Yesterday, yes Valentine's Day of all days, Phoenix started acting real clinging.  At 8:30 in the morning he came to me and said, "Mama, hold you.  I lay my head on your shoulder.  I take a nap."  I immediately knew something wasn't right.  He NEVER admits to being ready for a nap.  NEVER.

So, he napped.  He woke burning hot.  I took his temp and it was somewhere in the 102's.  Gave him motrin and cuddled him on the couch for the better part of the day.  He ran a fever off and on for the remainder of the day, even with motrin and a luke warm bath.  His temp got almost to 104 at times.

He woke around 12:30 or 1:00.  Still running a fever.  After more medicine and extra cuddles, he fell asleep again.  He woke with a temp of 100.00 around 7:00.  I carefully watched it during the morning.  He was acting much more energetic than yesterday, so I chalked it up to a fever virus.

We went over to my parents for breakfast, since Jason was working.  He started dragging again and his eyes were looking weak.  I told my parents I'd be back.  I ran home to change clothes (thankfully, we only live 2.5 miles from each other).  I decided to call the doctor.  He now had an appointment at 10:45.

I ran back to my parents, got him and we left.  Sissy stayed behind, thankfully.  We waited over an hour before seeing the doctor.  They did run strep and flu tests (he weighed in at 31lbs).  Thankfully, the flu test was negative.

FAIL #1.  The strep wasn't.  This is our third round of strep since September.  I spoke to the doctor about this.  She said that ENT's no longer recommend having tonsils out at this age like they used to.  Usually 6 within a reasonable time would warrant more attention.

I then voiced my concerns about his constant complaints of his head hurting.  Its soo hard to know if he's really in pain or if he hears me complain about mine so much it just comes out of his mouth too.  However, its been going on for a few months now (I've already mentioned it twice to the doctors in the past) so I wanted answers.  She was fabulous.  She recommend me chart his complaints.  Said likely from the strep, but could also be his eyes.  So, we did an eye exam as well.

FAIL #2.  He completely bombed his eye test.  The chart used was at the level of a K and since he's only 2 1/2, she wasn't convinced he failed because of his eyes.  3 years can really make a difference.  However, when I held the sheet and asked him what the objects were, he knew them all.  Obviously, it wasn't because of his lack of shapes.  So because of this she ran a few more simple tests.

We ended the appointment with, "We'll schedule him an eye appointment and get back to you."  So not only did we leave with strep, we also left with possible eye "issues" as well.

My poor buddy.  I just want him to be all better.



*I promise Neena and Nancy, we are going to make it to visit.....SOMETIME :(.

1 comment:

  1. I hope he is feeling better soon and the eye exam comes back with positive results ♡

    ReplyDelete