The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Making the Switch

For the past year or so, I have had several "issues" with our pediatrician.  I'll name her Dr. NoAnswers for the sake of this post.  But before I get into my rant, let me start by saying that I LOVE the practice.  We've seen just about every doctor in it-several times.  They are all fabulous and I really can't complain (other than what I'm about to do:)).

Changing doctors has been weighing heavy on my mind for a while now.  My kids are only 2 1/2 and 6mths.  We have a LOOONG time left with a pediatrician and I just can't let go of some things.  However, not wanting to cause conflict, because I really do like Dr. NoAnswers as a person, I've let stuff slide.  I also didn't want to offend her.  I know I shouldn't care and do whats best for my kids, but to me, changing to a different doctor in the same practice is like a total slap in the face.  I have talked this over with Jason on several occasions.  He always tells me to change.  He insists that if I'm not happy with the doctor, the kids won't be either.  My main reason for putting it off was simple-we NEVER see Dr. NoAnswers except for well visits.  I figured once a year, I could deal-right????

Well, Luna had her 6 month appointment this morning at 10:00.  We loaded up and headed out about 8:45.  I needed to run to both banks, get gas, and as you all know-be there at least 15 minutes early.  Thats just how I am.  Well, I'll be damned if it wasn't the second we pulled out of the driveway on this freezing morning my phone rang.  It was the practice telling me they needed to cancel.  Ha-I just received a text from them an hour earlier reminding me of my appointment.

I understand things come up.  Trust me, I do.  However, she only had 2 appointments in the next 2 weeks and they both fell during nap time.  I was a bit perturbed.  I called Jason upset.  More so because I got the kids out in this weather than anything else.  God love him.  I received a phone call about an hour or so later from a dear one.  She discussed changing doctors and said she herself did the very thing.  She made me realize this is something I had to do.  Not because of the cancelled appointment.

Here are just 3 examples of why I wasn't happy:
1.  Phoenix has had "cradle cap" bad for over a year.  I mean disgustingly bad.  To the point where I almost took him to the dermatologist bad.  I have been using specific shampoo but it hasn't helped.  I took him to see Dr. NoAnswers.  I got nothing.  Go figure.  I rementioned this to her on 2 different occasions with the same result.  Finally, Jason mentioned it to her.  She recommended something.  It helped.  But why in the hell do I have to ask/show concern about something 3-4 times before you suggest something????

2.  I had taken Phoenix in 2 different times because he was complaining of headaches.  He is 2 1/2.  He shouldn't be having headaches.  She brushed them off.  Never once recommending anything.  Never once suggesting what it might be.  Never once giving me advice on how to help him.  I took him in a 3rd time to see a different doctor.  She immediately addressed the issue.  She was truly concerned.  She recommended I chart them to see if we can find a pattern.  She also said to give him Motrin as soon as he complains.  Never was told this in the past.  She ended by running 3 different eye tests on him.  Good thing she did because we are now going to see the optometrist.  What if his eyes really are causing his headaches????  Seriously, Dr. NoAnswers would still be sending me home with nothing.

3.  Maybe because she has been in practice for a while but I always feel like we are just a "routine" for her.  I don't feel like she is truly whole-heartedly there during the appointments.  Its like she comes in, does her thing and leaves.  Doesn't address any outside matters that I mention (outside being aside from the weight, height, head all look good).  Its like she doesn't have time.  Like she's going through the motions.  I ALWAYS feel like I leave there without answers to my concerns.  True Concerns for my Kids.  My kids deserve better.

I know I'm being vague.  Thats on purpose.  I don't want to go into too much detail.  Again, as a person I do like Dr. NoAnswers.  But as my kids pediatrician I NEED more.  I made the call just a bit ago.  We have now officially switched doctors.  I feel like I've lost 100 pounds.  Now, instead of dreading taking my kids to the doctor, I'm actually looking forward to the visit (Luna will go for her 6mth on the 19th).  I'm excited to talk to the new doctor.  To hear her thoughts and opinions.  To actually receive feedback.  Maybe she can figure out what is going on with Luna and why she is such a brat!!!!

So....Did I do the right thing???? If in my position, what would you have done????

I'm just glad to finally have this chapter closed.  I LOVE my kids more than anything in the world.  I only want the best for them.  This will be good for all of us.  I'm excited about making the switch.





No comments:

Post a Comment