The purpose of this blog is to help keep our family and friends updated with the happenings of our life. We hope this will help everyone feel more connected, as well as closer to us, despite distance.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Something's Got to Give

Luna was doing great! She was a happy baby that loved life.  She ate like a champ and was sleeping like a champ.

She definitely had reflux, but it didn't seem to bother her.  She spit up a lot.  We even had random bouts of projectile vomit here and there.  It was nasty.  Again though, she wasn't bothered by it-so neither were we.

Until about 2 weeks ago.  It was definitely a gradual thing, but eventually she became possessed by reflux.  It was awful.  At first, she just started crying more than usual.  It then turned into a painful cry.  She eventually got to the point where she wouldn't let us put her down, and even then-she was usually crying.  More like screaming.  She would only sleep in the upright position and would wake screaming at even the slightest attempt to put her down.

I was about to go crazy.  Literally.  Thank God Jason saw my need for help because I likely would be at Bryce (no offense to Bryce patients) right now had he not.  He made every effort to help me, including coming home earlier (at like 2) to give me some relief.  He totally stepped up to the plate, as he always does.  He sat in the chair for hours at end, at all hours of the night so I could rest, even though he was the one who had to get up at 4:30 for work.

He was my lifesaver.

Tuesday, I finally had enough.  It was obvious that this wasn't normal.  Her screams were now filled with pain and her eyes were watery and puffy from lack of sleep.  She could barely keep them open.  My heart was breaking for my sweet girl.

I called the doctor and made her an appointment for that afternoon.  She was running a low grade fever, but everything checked out great.  Everything but her reflux.  We were given 2 medicines to help.  One to repair her esophagus from all the reflux and the other to help control it.

I wasn't sure how medicine was going to work.  We've tried 3 times with tylenol and one oral vaccination and the result was always the same-projectile vomit.

I was desperate enough to try though, even if it meant being vomited on.

Thank God the medicine went down.  We are now on day 2.  One medicine we give her 4 times a day and the other is twice a day.  We've only had one episode of vomit!

Even better-I have my sweet girl back!!!! She is back to being a happy, eating, sleeping child once again.  She sits in the mamaroo, in her rock and play and her bumbo rather contently now!  She is still sleeping on the boppy, but its the highest incline I can get that is safe.  Her mattress incline isn't enough.

I'm sorry sweet girl for making you go soo long in pain.  Mama's fault.  However, I am glad you are finally comfortable again!

She has also gained almost a whole pound since her appointment on the 12th.  She weighed in at 13.4 on Tuesday, November 19th.

The only way she'd sleep at first. Turned into a 90 degree sit towards the end.

Medicine time! Obviously not a fan :)

Not happy with Dada :(

Good to have our sweet girl back :)











No comments:

Post a Comment